Sun’s out for a change!
I need to ask a question. Why is that when I was re-routing a brake line for my dual Master Cylinder I managed to knock the brake line flaring tool case with my elbow. My own fault for balancing it on the cowl, but I did managed to catch it. Of course everything went everywhere, I was standing there looking like I lost £10 but found £5 if you know what I mean, but no I was holding an empty plastic case. I heard that dreaded clink clank again of various bits rattling down the engine. The flaring dies that make the double flares are quite small and I found four out of the five pieces. My question is where do the bits go that you can’t find. I have looked for hours and I mean hours. I have a torch with a Blue Point mirror tool looking in all places. I know that my started motor teeth are OK and not rusted up. I know that I have missed a little bit with my rust treatment on the left hand side of the chassis just under the steering column. I now know that I have a bolt missing on the bottom part of the exhaust manifold on the left hand side. What I don’t know is where that little mushroom-shaped bit went. Do the gremlins come along steal it, and run off before I see them. If I catch the disruptive swine, will his pockets be filled with thirty plus years of car bits I have lost? It drives me mental. I have rocked the car, I have put my hands in every tiny gap that I could, I have even used my magnetic pick up tool to probe places that I didn’t know existed. I have had bits of grime and rusty bits drop into my eyes and hair when I bang under the engine, as if it would make a difference! I swear it’s not there. Is this just me and my bad luck or does it happen to anybody else? This is not the first time it has happened to me, I have lost nuts, washers and clips. I have still not found them. Perhaps there is miniature version of the Bermuda Triangle that is currently located under that Ford small block v8 in my garage, the Mustang oblong maybe!
OK, so I was going to get the car out and start her up and use the brakes to drive her in and out. I have half bleed the brakes to the rear with the new dual master cylinder from Mustang Maniac and all was well. I was going to do the fronts but other things side tracked me a little on Saturday and couldn’t finish it off. So as today was a lovely day I had a change of plan decided my time would be better spent in the garden, it was time for some bodywork action. I have already removed the damaged paint and the pitted filler from the front valance and the grill valance here in part 1. I have taken some more pictures of the Valances for part 2 and updated the pages, or just click here for the quick link. I have applied a total of three applications of the filler and rubbed down each one to make it a level as possible to smooth out the low spots. The hot weather has made application of the filler a bit of a race against time as the drying process was pretty quick in the warmth. I can bleed the rest of the brakes when it is raining next, that’s an inside job, where as sanding and getting caked in filler dust is not an ideal man cave job in the rain!