Dual Master Cylinder Project

I worked a long day on the car over the weekend and I managed to complete a project that I wasn’t planning on. My original master cylinder produced a leak during the bleeding process. So to cut a long story short I upgraded to a Duel Master Cylinder System. Ok, my car is not concours original anymore, but I intend to drive and enjoy it not just show it, clean it and be unable to enjoy it because of the spec of dust on the exhaust. It has taken me most of the evening to write-up the process and pictures, but I am pleased with the results and wanted to share it as promised in my previous post. I have now posted the project under Photos – Engine bay – Dual Master Cylinder Upgrade, or click here for the quick link. This is no ordinary upgrade though, this kit includes a rear proportioning valve, built-in rear pressure valve and an inline pressure valve for the front brakes. Disc brake ready!

Next weekend I hope to bleed the brakes or at least try again.

The only side effect to my long day on the car was I felt like I had my legs run over by a bus. All that stretching and leaning over the fender took its toll on my hamstrings. Is it that I am getting old or should I have done some stretching exercises first? Yeah, like I wouldn’t look like a doughnut doing exercises in my garage to change a master cylinder! Us blokes don’t do that sort of thing, but I might just do that behind closed doors next time. 🙂

Rust

The recent bad weather has been doing wonders for the Rust test that I am still performing. The comparison is between the Granville Rust Cure and the FE-123.  I will continue to run the experiment a while longer then I will post some pictures and results so far. I intend to do a long-term test and keep coming back to it with updates.

Share my Content

Late night on the car

Today was a mental busy day, the sun was out the birds were singing and I was bashing and clanking in the garage. I have spent all day and few more hours into the evening doing my upgrade. I have taken out the old leaking master cylinder and replaced it with a new Dual Master cylinder. Yep, last week I went down to see Adam at Mustang Maniac and got myself a new set up. The parts took a little while to find amongst the organised chaos there of the massive delivery of stock. I was a little worried about the fact there was a single cylinder that does all the brakes. If the single cylinder leaks then I lose all braking, not good. So it was a no brainer really to get this in. OK, again it’s not concourse for the car I know all that, but it’s safe or will be once its done. I have taken lots of photo’s for the project and what had to be done, I will upload them and write them up this week sometime, watch this space. All I am saying is I needed more copper pipe, lots of it!

Why didn’t I do it yesterday? Simple, remember that rotten ol’ (OK, it’s new but I don’t like it because of the hassle it gives me), summer-house I was having fun with? Well I finished it off yesterday. It was a total nightmare to say the least. The glass was cracked when I opened the packets up and the latch had the bar missing inside to go to the inside handle. Just what I needed, NOT. I put the rest of the glass in that I could and panel pined the beading on. Now to me, hammers and glass don’t go well together and I was so carefull not to break any more glass, hardly ideal. Give me metal to sort out anytime!

But, next weekend is a Bank Holiday, that means I will be doing car stuff only, no sheds, no fences, no summer houses, no weeding, no patios, no nothing except my car. That is unless the better half decides I need to do a few jobs to make up for the money I spent on the brake cylinder. I admit it – I dare say one of the days will be me doing jobs for her. I may wear the trousers in this relationship – but she gets them out for me to wear! 🙂

I have attached a picture of the finished Master Cylinder as a little teaser.

dual MC

Share my Content